Monday, June 20, 2011

Grungy Monday and Showin' Some Metal

Today's challenges:   Grungy Monday #12 refers back to a technique Tim demoed in April of 2008.  Click HERE to see it from the man himself.  Click HERE to see what Linda L. and her guest designers did for the challenge.   Over at Simon Says Stamp and Show.....the show part is metal.  Click HERE to go to that blog and see all the projects the team did.  The third challenge, a personal one, was to create something that strikes fear in the heart of most card makers.....a masculine card.  I think I've scored a threefer here:



The background, which is the technique from Tim's blog, was done on the vintage license plate paper from Lost and Found.  I used Wendy's houndstooth background stamp and Ranger's hazelnut paint dabber.  

Metal shows up in two places.  First Ten Seconds Studio rock star black metal was embossed with a Cuttlebug folder.....a houndstooth design to echo the background stamp.  It was then cut with Tim's Hanging Sign die.  You'll notice that I trimmed the hanger part to fit this somewhat smaller than standard card.  The metal was lightly sanded and then rubbed with archival ink in sepia.  Some leftover bits of chain connect the sign to the hanger.  The other metal comes from the brads in the four corners....they are actually very glittery, and come from Stampin' Up.

Speaking of SU, I used a punch of theirs that is a very similar shape to the hanging sign to cut the cardstock that the birthday greeting (also from SU) is on.

BTW, the background technique is one of my favorites.  Although I used a really nice looking paper to stamp on, what I love about this technique is how it can totally transform the appearance of patterned paper you don't much care for, turning it into something special.  Try it.


21 comments:

Nancy Lynn said...

I love love love your card. Now I probably need that hanging sign die. I love how it came out here on the card Thanks for sharing. Another great piece of artwork.

Anonymous said...

Eileen that is SO cool!!! Great job as always ma'am!!! I just LOVE your ART!!!!!

Alison said...

Great use of Tim's technique on this cool card Eileen! x

Lori said...

Awesome! You scored a good one on this threefer! It looks awesome, and that technique for GM really looks great on that license plate paper!

Dorothy said...

Looks good to me!!

Vic said...

I love your card! Everything came together perfectly.

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

This is fabulous. what a great way to change up a background. Makes me rethink some of my 'ugly' patterned papers.

Linda said...

You definitely scored a threefer! Great use of the GM technique!

PetraB said...

Very cool!

Bearcrazyman said...

Rockin' as always. The background is perfect!

teri said...

This is a wonderful study in contrasts. The rocker metal against the soft background makes it very interesting.

Patzee said...

You rocked the metal with this one! I love the Tim technique especially with a box full of "not quite my style" patterned paper. Thanks for all the details.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Just a wonderful card, love the metal on it.

Debby said...

Cool card. I made it bigger to see the details and this is really nice. The metal rocks!

Candy C said...

Really cool piece and technique! Thanks for sharing it with us and everyone at Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. <3 Candy

Diana said...

i too love this technique but honestly never thought of using it on the 'not so favorite' papers!!!! thanks!

Kim said...

Wow--your background came out fabulously!! I didnt' think a stamp like that would have worked--gotta give a try! Too funny about your comment on paper you don't care about...that might have been my other problem!

Debbie said...

You nailed the Tim Technique! Awesome background! I love it when you get great mileage out of one design! Great card!

Sarah said...

A very cool threefer indeed - the embossing looks great and the background turned out fab.
Sarah

Terry said...

Wowzersss love your piece of art, thank you for joining the DT from Simon Says Stamp and Show with your fab creation. Hugs terry xxx

Linda Ledbetter said...

Eileen, this is without a doubt one of the coolest birthday cards I've ever seen. I love how your transformed the license plate paper with the GM technique, and the embossed metal is just fabulous!