Monday, July 2, 2012

Splattered on Alcohol (Ink)

Tim Holtz's July tag in the 12 Tags of 2012 series is a patriotic one, perfect for this month.  It features a very fun technique that I believe I first saw in a video, and which was later in Volume 1 of A Compendium of Curiosities.  Or maybe it was the other way around.  All I know is, it made me rush out to Staples to get a can of compressed air.

I decided to go in a different direction, keeping to the techniques Tim used, but using a whole other color way and theme.  I love the water; my favorite colors are blues and greens, so here is my version:



I used willow, pool, citrus, and sailboat blue inks for the background.  Then I stamped those fabulous Wendy Vecchi fish twice.  First with emerald green archival ink, then right over top with black.  The dots (bubbles, really) were done with an old Stampin' Up wheel stamp.  I think the way the inks blew upwards looks a lot like seaweed, which is how I wound up going in the direction I went. The tag is topped off with some taffeta ribbon dyed with distress stains (peeled paint, shabby shutters, weathered wood and broken china) and a couple of ocean themed charms.

OK, I lied.  I didn't neglect Independence Day altogether.  I also did a red, white and blue tag; I just don't like it quite as much as the first one.



I was hoping my red pepper and stonewashed inks would resemble fireworks, but I'm not so sure about that.  The stamp, one of my favorite Statue of Liberty stamps (from Viva Las Vegas), was done with black archival ink.

I'm taking Joanne Sharpe's online lettering class, so decided to do my own writing.  Trust me, I've done better, but at least I'm trying.  It was written with a micron pen and colored with distress markers.

If I don't post again before then, have a safe and fun July 4th!

20 comments:

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...both tags are just loVely, the colours are so vibrant against the white...super takes on the July Tag...Mel :)

Anonymous said...

I like them both! Happy Fourth of July to you!

Helen said...

I agree, they are both fab! I can't find where I put my can of air the last time I did this technique, so it could be a few days before I can do this one!! I love that Statue of Liberty stamp too, she is great!

Unknown said...

Love your tags! I decided I would try this also, and I already have cans of air! I also rec'd Compendium of curiosities vol II the other day. Can't wait to go thru the book.

Patzee said...

Love your fishy tag. Is that fish net? Very cool. What a fun technique to play with!

BJ said...

I love the green one better too, the images are more defined I think. BJ

CuddlyBunny said...

I agree with everyone else: Both of these are fun and beautiful!

Your patriotic tag is definitely sporting some fireworks and your fish pond ... WOWZA! You nailed it!

Dorothy said...

Beautiful Eileen!!!

Kathy said...

These are great tags, Eileen..

Alicia B said...

I love BOTH tags Eileen!!! *Hugs*

Anonymous said...

This is so clever I really love what you did with the technique and your unique twist on it.

Cynthia said...

I love both tags too! LOVE the bubbles in the top one!

Monica said...

The green one is really great.

Creatique Candy said...

I really love the Sea theme & colors. Your Background & elements evoke a serene emotion for me in your article in what you were expressing. I love it very much. I had no idea who Wendi Vecci is until seeing your post & listing the stamp set. HUGS XO

Creatique Candy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sue said...

Love both of your tags. I'm drawn to the first one because I live close to the Gulf of Mexico, so I have some salt water running thru my veins!

Michelle said...

I love both tags!

Lisa H said...

Lovely!! I like the fish one best too. Great idea on tweaking the theme.

Michelle said...

I love both tags but am especially drawn to the colors of the fish tag more. I love how you incorporated the string in for fishing line.

Unknown said...

The fishy tag is my favourite too. Your fish don't seem to mind at all being caught in your net! A wonderful twist on this months tag