In Jennifer's canvas it looks to me like she didn't do anything to the canvas itself, which I understand. The samples should be the star. But I didn't like the starkness of the white, so I used some light colored distress stains and inks (mainly old paper and weathered wood) to add just a bit of softness.
First, here are the final three samples, pigment pearl and an embossed button embellishment, distress stickles and pearl painting on the wing, and glossy accents resist and solid embossing on the wing.
And here is the finished canvas. I used pop dots to attach my birdies, except on the rosette one, as it is already pretty dimensional.
And the back of the canvas has the list of all the techniques for handy reference.