Thursday, September 20, 2012

Great Technique From Wendy Vecchi

Wendy Vecchi is an artist/designer I really admire for many reasons, not the least of which is how she is always coming up with new ways to use the supplies I already own.  Check out her video here for a great technique involving white pigment ink, distress inks, stains, and markers, and black paper.

Meanwhile, over at the EWV (Everything Wendy Vecchi for those who don't know) yahoo group, list mom  (and my good friend) Lori  has been motivating us with various challenges for quite some time, and the current challenge is to use the technique that Wendy demonstrates in the video.

I'll give you a minute to check out the video.  OK, time's up.  You saw what Wendy did, now here is my entry for the challenge:

 
 
For the background I really followed Wendy's directions pretty much exactly.  I used the fish and the flourish from the Art For Men set.  The tiny letters are from the Art Inspiration set.  The "seaweed" is actually the stem from the Funky Flower Art set, and now that I'm looking at it, I think it would also make great octopus tentacles.  Not that I imagine myself needing an octopus in my art, but hey, you never know.
 
As for the fish that is NOT part of the background, I used the variation of the technique, stamping the fish on kraft instead of black paper.  I also did one other thing a bit differently.  While the white ink (Ranger's Adirondack snowcap) was still wet I sprinkled it with clear embossing powder and heat set it.  After coloring it with distress markers and inks I decided to add a little color to the embossed parts.  Distress inks won't stick there, so I used some archival inks.  The fish was then cut out and adhered with pop dots for dimension. 
 




13 comments:

Anonymous said...

A VERY VERY pretty tag!!!! GREAT job sweetie!!!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Fantastic!!! Love love love your fish...both of them!

Marjie Kemper said...

The colors pop so well off the black! Love those fish.

SusanK said...

Cool! And love the seaweed/octopus tentacles!

Tammy D said...

Love this tag!

Lori said...

This is so cool...octopus tentacles... that is a brilliant idea! Perfect! Thanks so much for the shout out...and for joining the MAC, and being a loyal participant..fun stuff!

Elena said...

You always come up with the greatest tags!!! I love it!

Alicia B said...

Super cool and how clever to use what you have to make it work! I do like the idea of octopus tentacles though, LOL *Hugs*

Vic said...

I love your tag!

Unknown said...

Yes, they could be tentacles! lol I didn't know the Adirondack pads work on embossed images. Thanks for the tip!

Christina Lytle said...

Beautiful TAg!!!

Alexandra said...

Great tag, cool that some stamps fire up our imagination, like ink blots. Love your fishes.

Anonymous said...

Wow ... now this is very pretty...I love the colors.