Thursday, June 27, 2013

DJ Pettit Workshop, The Final Post (I Promise!)

While I can say my book is finished, I know there's lots more I want to add.  I have tons of bird stamps, including some great crows from Quietfire Designs that are perfect for this project.  But the book is bound, and I love it just the way it is.  Here are my pages......all 30+ of them!

BTW, I always forget to mention this, but if you click on a picture you'll get a closer look.  Which sometimes means a fuzzier look, but hey, I never claimed to be a photographer.

This is my cover, and you can see a bit of the spine.  DJ taught us the best, easiest binding technique that involves sewing that I've ever done.  The buttons are not merely decorative; they are what hold the thread in place.

 
 
This is my book opened so you can see both front and back covers and the spine.  

 
Some pages are all paper, but some are all fabric and lace:


 
 
And some are a combination of paper and fabric (and some washi tape and a few feathers never hurt anyone).

 
I love how the stitches from the previous page just add some texture to the next one.  On the right, one of many smaller bird images I've already added to the book.


Another image, more washi tape and one of Donna's stamps.


 
 
Room on these pages for something.  I was thinking of adding quotes and poems and song lyrics relating to birds and/or flight to some pages.





Check out the great texture on the left hand page.  This was one of many pages that was gessoed with super heavy gesso.  I didn't even know such a thing existed.  Now on my must-buy list.


 

I found this bird photo in a tourist publication at the hotel.

 
Lots of room for journaling, or just more stuff!





 
 
I took one of Elena's leftover muslin strips to incorporate into my book.  One of Jacquie's is somewhere too.  Love having a bit of my friends' work as part of my own. When you go to a class with friends do that.  Every time you look at your work you'll think of them and the good times.




 
I got that little photo of the two pigeons from DJ and painted it just as we did the crow for the cover.  Aren't they sweet?



 
 
The wonderful thing about picking (and sticking to) a color palette is you don't have to do too much fussing about the order of your pages.  Every single page works well next to any other page.







Just so you know, the circles which appear throughout my book were stamped with the rims of a paper cup and a glue stick cover.

 
 
When the book was bound I added some charms and do-dads to the bottom.  That little turquoise bird and nest was made by my friend Val.  I've had it for years and have been saving it for just the right project.  Talk about perfect! 

 
 
The beaded trim on the back cover was acquired recently at yet another great weekend workshop with Lynne Perrella and Michelle Ward.  We had a share table, and I found it there.  It didn't make its way into my project that weekend, but I knew I'd use it eventually.  More perfection!  So, thanks to the anonymous artist who left it there for me to find.

 
 
That's it!  I'm looking forward to a return visit to Donna Downey's fabulous studio.  I don't know if I'll ever be in the same space with DJ Pettit again, but I can hope.  DJ did say she'd come back, and if she does, I'll be right there too.
 
If you enjoyed this art adventure, and want to see even more photos, go to Donna's blog on her site (link above).  And also, don't forget Andrea Walford's blog.
 


18 comments:

Bearcrazyman said...

Absolutely phenomenal work

Unknown said...

Great tips about the extra heavy gesso and using the same paints throughout. I always wondered if DJ's pages were plastered, but I guess that's the gesso effect. Can't wait to see it in person!!

Socrates said...

Beautiful book. I love your color palette and your fabric pages are fabulous.

Patzee said...

Love your journal! Wonderful palette and images. The variety of texture and surfaces is so cool. Thanks to your inspiring blog, I just ordered my first sewing machine!

jacquie said...

The images of the book are great, however, for the blog watchers, you can not imagine how much more Yummy and luscious these books are in person. So much depth to them. I just loved this project. If you can take a DJ class do! You will not be disappointed!

Jacquie

Anonymous said...

LOVE your journal Eileen! It was so good seeing the photos of everyone's work since I wasn't able to take many photos while teaching. Thank you for the sweetness and talent that you brought to the workshop, and for such a wonderful narrative of our time at Donna's!

Carol said...

Eileen, beautiful book and gorgeous blog spot.
Thank you.

Carol DuBois

Helen said...

Absolutely beautiful book, Eileen, I love the light colours you chose, perfect for your added "whatever" - it truly is a thing of beauty.

Kathie said...

Gorgeous!! I love it.

Lori said...

Ok, next time you sign up, let me know, and I'll sign up too! Yep.. your book is absolutely gorgeous!

Bearcrazyman said...

Lori me too....

Unknown said...

Your book turned out amazing!!! So glad I got to meet you in class! Your work is beautiful!!!

Kathy Eddy said...

This turned out so cool Eileen! You really take some great classes and have wonderful crafting sessions!

Jennifer R.D. said...

Eileen!
This is simply stunning. How serendipitous that you had all the perfect finishing touches ready to go.
I found that little machine for sale online for 49.00
is that a good deal?
Jen oxox

Anne said...

I love this! Thanks for sharing.

Dorothy said...

Fantastic!!!

Chris Flynn said...

Such a beautiful book. Thanks for sharing your processes and JOY with us! The textured pages reminds me of paste papers. Very nice!

Barbara Mason said...

What a gorgeous book - you really rocked this one... DJ is a great teacher...just beautiful.