Monday, June 17, 2013

Air Travel

Well, you don't know what
We can find
Why don't you come with me little girl
On a magic carpet ride
 
 
The lyrics from that Steppenwolf classic stayed in my head the entire time I was working on this page.  Dating myself, aren't I?
 
I had the entire weekend to do my page for Sox's book in the Kindred Souls round robin.  Her theme is air travel, the time period, late nineteenth century, and her preference is steampunk.  Naturally, images of zeppelins, hot air balloons and the like immediately came to mind, but I wanted to do something a little different.  So I put Sox's heroine, Magdalena, on a magic carpet as she comes in for a landing in Persia.
 
 
 
The background was mainly done with stencils that I thought supported my location.  I found the carpet image and buildings online.  My Magdalena is from Graphic 45's Steampunk Debutante collection, and I enhanced her hair with some tiny watch parts.
 
 
 
 
The satchel was constructed from grungepaper, inked with walnut stain distress ink.  Some faux stitching, the strap, the slide and the "hardware" made with dots from a glaze pen, finish it off.  I think it looks like leather.  Oh, and that's an old map of Persia peeking out of the outside pocket.
 
That same map, only larger, covers the back of the page.  I stenciled over part of it with black and gold paint, and used that area for my information.
 
 
 
Let's see......according to the artists that preceded me, Magdalena has also been to Cuba, London, Paris, and the far east.  I wonder where she'll turn up next......and how she'll get there.
 
On an unrelated note, I may be missing for a few days.  On Wednesday I'm flying down to North Carolina where I'm meeting up with my pals Elena and Jacquie for a long weekend workshop with DJ Petit at Donna Downey's studio.  I have wanted to take a class with DJ for ages, and to be able to AND hang with my Florida peeps.....priceless!

 



5 comments:

Patzee said...

What a fabulous page! She looks perfectly poised on that magic carpet. Love your super stenciling skills. I know you'll have a blast with those wacky Cuban gals!!

Unknown said...

I love these pages! Have a fab trip!!

Elena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elena said...

This is so SOX! I know she will love it!! Your work with stencils is always fabulous!! See you wednesday!

Lori said...

Ah ... another great story and page! Love the idea and how it was executed...fabulous!