Tuesday, March 10, 2015

DLP 2015, Week 10 -- Make Your Mark

The Documented Life Project
March Theme
Making Your Mark (Doodles & Mark Making)
March 7
Art Challenge:  As A Layer Element
Journal Prompt:  Surviving the Elements

It seems to me that everything I put on paper is a mark, so I just went out of my way to include as many mark making techniques as I could think of.

First mark, paint. Fluid acrylics, to be exact, plopped on the paper and then quickly spread out with a baby wipe. (Learned that technique from Dyan Reaveley, and I love it. What a time saver!)


Next, some drips and splatters of watered down paint, followed by scribbling (more on that in a sec).


For the scribbling, I mixed equal parts of black fluid acrylic paint and airbrush medium, and used this handy little tool.


At this point I got too into the adding of marks and stopped taking photos at each step. Some of the things I used: Portfolio oil pastels, stencils with ink and with paint and also with embossing paste, rubber stamps, bubble wrap, pencils, markers, mica powders.....like I said, just about everything. And that was just on the background.

I also dug out my never ending supply of gelli print scraps, went to the sewing machine, and sewed some wonky flower and leaf shapes. These I cut out, in addition to some minus the stitches. And this crazy garden was born.


The journal prompt is "surviving the elements," and all I could think of is how cold and snowy this winter was, and how looking forward to seeing a flower instead of a snowdrift I am. 

Here are some closer looks. And if they aren't close enough, just click on them. Hopefully, enlarging them won't result in a blurry mess, which has been known to happen.






This was fun for me, because it's not really typical of what I normally do, and the colors are certainly brighter than my usual choices. Which means I operated at least a bit out of my comfort zone, and that's the whole point of these challenges, isn't it? 





4 comments:

Unknown said...

You brought springtime to this long, cold winter. Love it!

Patzee said...

Yay! You met the challenge brilliantly! Love watching the page develop and seeing you step out of your comfort zone.

Lori said...

Fabulous! Those bright colors are a welcome sight!

Penny Duncan said...

What a pretty creation!!!! Love all your scraps of gelli plate design.....adds so much color to your piece!!!! Hope you're doing well my friend!!! Been along time.......