Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Another Ancestor, Found

I mentioned before that one of the latest round robins I'm in is called Vintage Ancestors.  It is so much fun, because we're all searching the internet, garage sales, and flea markets for cabinet cards (or making faux ones) and giving everyone an ancestor with a back story.  I am having the best time with this, and have been working on my friend Sox's book.  Sox started things off with a relative who was a circus performer and though I didn't start out with that in mind, I gave her one who was also quite the rebel.

Without further ado, the tale of Claudine Romanov-Mercurio, gypsy, dancer, actress, runaway, and so much more.

Here is the photo that started it all:



First, a quick look at my two page spread:

 
 
Where is the cabinet card?  Well, it's hiding behind the narrative.  I printed the story on transparency film.  Originally I was just going to put it over the second page, but decided to back the transparency with vellum, which also makes it easier to read.  Time to backtrack a bit.
 
The title, "A Misspent Youth," continues on page two, with the question, "Or was it?"  The story answers that question.
 
The first page consists of many tags and other memorabilia that our wayward Claudine collected in her youthful travels.  They are strung together and pop out of their pockets easily so they can be looked at.
 
 
 
The transparency, vellum, and underlying page were machine stitched together on one side so the story can be lifted to reveal page two.
 
 
 
And this is Claudine's story:
 
 
 
You just have to love a project that allows you to be both artist and storyteller.  Can't wait to get my next victim, I mean book.







11 comments:

Patzee said...

Brilliant! What a massively creative project! I can't wait to add a family member and continue to weave a tale worthy of this esteemed family.

Socrates said...

Phenomenal! I love it. What a great bunch of ancestors you guys are creating for me. Thank you!

teri said...

So clever of you. I've never printed on vellum. Is it hard to do? I love the way your page turned out.

craftyM said...

Love it, Eileen!
Marita

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

How fun!!! Love her pic! The best part about this is getting to pick your own family!!!!

Nancy said...

How cool! I love the true mixing - story, art, a bit of reality, a bit of fiction.

Elena said...

This is GREAT EIleen!! I am so glad everyone is loving this project so much!

Unknown said...

What a family tree Sox has! Great work!

Lynn Stevens said...

What a wonderful book and cool cabinet card.
Hugs Lynn

Lori said...

Great work with these pages! It is pretty cool that you get to be artist AND storyteller..you do both so well!

Anonymous said...

[URL=http://pharmacypills.atspace.co.uk/buy-amitriptyline-canada/Sydney-order-endep-25-mg-online.html]Sydney order endep 25 mg online[/URL]