Sunday, April 25, 2010

Frida!

I've been fascinated by the art (and the life) of Frida Kahlo for a long time, and when my Australian friend Lee proposed yet another collaborative journal with Frida as the inspiration, I jumped at the chance.  Yes, even though I'm currently in four other journal groups and have an overflowing plate.  Couldn't resist.
I decided on a compact size (6x6), as we are a very international group, and concerned about postage costs.
Here is my newly completed cover art:
I drew a (deliberately) crooked border and filled it with colorful doodling, my version of Mexican folk art.  Wasn't at all trying to be authentic, this is just what Frida's art inspires in ME.
Inside the frame I created the background with Portfolio water soluble oil pastels and torn paper used as a mask.  After buffing it with paper towels, I painted over it with gold mica paint, which I'm sure doesn't show up in the photo, but it is nice and shimmery.
The picture of Frida began with some clip art.  I put into practice the drawing technique Jen taught us on the retreat.  I lightly gessoed over the image of Frida and then drew and colored over the gesso, so the original image served as a guide.  Since it was a portrait, I added the skirt (which has dimensional flowers) and scarf (a piece of ribbon).
The wonderful letters that spell out Frida were stamped with black ink, using a great Tim Holtz foam alphabet set (sadly, no longer available), which I was lucky enough to get last year on the Mexico cruise.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally awesome Eileen. You so inspire me with your art. c.louise

Nancy Lynn said...

Another beautiful piece of art. I look forward to seeing what next you will be posting for us to feast our eyes on. Have a great day.

Patsy Ingram said...

You cover is amazing as is all the art I've seen on your blog. I love the shape of your border. Can't wait to see what you will post to go with the cover.

Angie Hall Haviland said...

OH WOW!! Your cover is BEAUTIFUL!! Love the movement your "crooked" border adds

Lori said...

Great work, as usual, and I know the subject matter is near and dear to your heart! From what I have seen of Frida's work, this seems to be a dead ringer, the colors are gorgeous, I'm sure the pic doesn't do it justice, but it sure looks great from here!

Diann said...

I love the explosion of color with this Frida work of ART! The doodling in the crooked border is amazing and goes perfect - you did real good, my friend! Diann

Patzee said...

What a colorful creation! I love the border treatment!

patricia smith said...

Thanks once again for inspiring me, and reminding me when I do art of any type, it can be how I want it to be, not what is authentic!

Hugs, Pat Smith