Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Something Seedy and Something Blue

Got your attention?   The something seedy, sorry to say, is just that seed bead necklace I made started in a class I took with my friend Kahena last week.  I finally finished....all 7 strands.....and put it together.  Kahena was right; it is an easy mindless task to do while watching TV.  This is what we received in the class, and all you need to make seed bead jewelry.  Well, not all you need.  You also need some monofilament thread.  We used fishing line.  You can get the thread in a craft store, but Kahena thinks the fishing line is stronger, and it certainly costs less.
The little plastic gizmo is called a Beadalon, and low tech as it is, it really does work.  You pour some seed beads inside the bowl (which is a separate piece and rests on a stand), and spin it while angling the hooked needle inside.  Once you get the feel for the right angle, the beads really do automatically slide onto the needle.  This is a picture from the box the Beadalon came in, showing it in action.  Though action is a poor choice of word.  It's really very boring, and best done either in front of the TV or in the company of friends.
I chose a combination of black and silver beads, and this is my finished project:
I'm thinking of some sort of pendant to hang from it, but that's for another day.

I've covered seedy, now on to blue.   Also probably not what you were thinking of.  Nothing sad or sexual, just the color blue.  I'm in a blue tag swap, and this is my contribution:
The background is music paper, gessoed and inked, then stamped with light blue pigment ink, embossed with clear, then inked again with darker blue, so the fern stamp pops more.  I used all my border punches and some Jenni Bowlin mini papers in blue for the top and bottom of the tag.  The cage and bird are cut from Tim Holtz's new Caged Bird die, the cage in dark blue cardstock, the bird in some patterned paper from my stash.
Don't know if it shows up in the photo, but I used some Sakura glaze pens to doodle over the cage, and (if you can see it) the little bit of sparkle on the bird is from a Sakura stardust pen (at least I think that's what it is called) in clear.

17 comments:

Dorothy said...

Awesome Eileen!!

Unknown said...

Very cool! I was just looking to order the bird cage and you helped me make up my mind - I'm going to get it! I haven't heard of the pen that you used. I look forward to reading your blog more often. Thank you for sharing.

Oh, and the tutorial about the beads was cool too. I'm just not a huge jewelry person but maybe some day I can try it.

scrappin-scrappin said...

Great tag Eileen!! Love it!!

Angie Hall Haviland said...

WOW Your necklace and tag are both FABULOUS!!

Nancy Lynn said...

I love the necklace......you did a great job. And of course, I love the tag too.

Lori said...

I have one of those bead things, and I was amazed how well it really works. Your necklace is awesome. Love the blue tag, background is cool, love the bird poppin' out of the cage. Awesome work as usual!

Barbara Mason said...

Seed beads were always my nemesis and my eyes aren't as strong as they used to be!!!-but that thingy looks like the right tool for the job. Another very sweet tag - makes me the opposite of blue!

Tammy D said...

Love them both. What a really neat tool.

Elaine A said...

Hi Eileen -

I love the necklace and isn't that little spinning bowl great? It makes things go so much faster. Also, Kahena is right, it really is less expensive to buy the fishing line. It comes in different sizes and colors, I use clear and smoke. I usually pick mine up online or at sporting goods stores. You can get a really large spool for a whole lot less than the beading stores sell the small spools.
Love your tag, it is so sweet! I just got the bird cage and a few other Tim Dies so can't wait to play!

Elaine Allen

Kerry said...

Eileen - I'm gonna try the beadalon - that really looks interesting. I love the necklace! Your tag is absolutely lovely. Thanks for sharing. Kerry P.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh BOTH are GORGEOUS!!!! Wonderful job as always ma'am!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the Tag. Isn't the bead spinner amazing? My friend made me garland for my xmas tree using that...makes short work of stringing beads! Very nice...thanks for sharing.

Diann said...

Wonderful necklace and you know I think the blue tag is awesome! Wish I had one of those little seed pots! Great job! Diann

inge said...

Hello Eileen,

you mentioned blue... so I HAD to come over and have a look LOL

The beadmaker seems easy, but you say it's boring...I think it can be very calming to put the beads on myself instead of the beadmachine, but it's right that you must have good eyes then !

Nice tag : I 'm especially fond of your background : the musicpaper with the gesso on and the fern that's peeking through.

greetings from belgium
Inge

2amscrapper said...

That bead thingie sounds amazing. Your work is wonderful, as usual.

Patzee said...

I like blue! You are making it very hard to resist the birdcage die with such a lovely creation. Your necklace looks quite elegant. What a great little machine. It makes me want to put strings of seed beads everywhere!

patricia smith said...

The beads look like it would be a boring project to get started! The birdcage is great! Thanks for sharing.
Hugs, Pat Smith