Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Simon Says Stamp and Show Us......

......an old wive's tale.  Hmmm....strange theme but I'm up for a challenge.  Not sure what the difference is between a superstition and an old wive's tale (if there even is one), but all I know is, ever since I read about the challenge I can't get the Stevie Wonder song Superstition out of my head.  Well, great song, so it could be worse.  But I digress. 

I did a google search, wanting to find a less well known tale to use as my inspiration.  This one appealed to me because while I am not particularly fond of live spiders, I really do love Wendy's little spider stamp.


What I used:
  • the background is LuminArte paints, Egyptian Gold and Bronze Medallion
  • the spider web was made with a Tim Holtz mask on white cardstock with black soot distress ink
  • the compass in the center of the web is a Stampin' Up stamp
  • the spider, as mentioned is a Wendy Vecchi stamp
  • the old car is a Tim Holtz stamp
  • the banner waving from the car is by Jenni Bowlin
Other details:
  • all the stamping was done with Ranger black Archival ink
  • after stamping the spider I went over it with a Sakura black glaze pen
  • the car was covered with a thin coat of Glossy Accents



20 comments:

Tammy D said...

Love it! Awesome take on it! I hadn't ever heard that one.

Dorothy said...

Very cool!

Kerry said...

Wow - hadn't heard that one either! Great piece - awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Jingle said...

This is such a neat piece! I love it!

Laurie said...

Love Love Love your piece and the saying. I am going to be on a search for a web as I need to take a trip. LOL Hugs, Laurie

Kathy said...

Awesome take on the theme, Eileen..Love it!! So creative...

Marjie Kemper said...

Very cool take on this challenge!

LaStamper said...

Love the "Old Wive's Tale" and it must be true cause at least in September you will be traveling! Knowing you you probably will be traveling long before September! Well done, as usual.

Nancy said...

Fun piece, Eileen! I'd considered that OWT, but couldn't visualize what to do with it - you did wonderfully!

Lisa said...

Ha ha. Love it--and you captured it perfectly!

Nancy Lynn said...

Oh my gosh, you did a wonderful job on this. I love how you illustrated the tale. Way too cool. Another great piece from Artist Eileen.

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Ooh how fun! I want to go on a trip - just saw a spider scurry down its web! Surprised me so much!!! As for your lovely card, I'm really liking the flag in the car, in particular!

Thanks so much for entering the Simon Says Stamp & Show Challenge!

-Sarah

Candy C said...

Hey Eileen! This is really cute. I had never heard that wives' tale before...but I'm ready for a trip!! Better go looking for spider webs! You really did a nice job on pulling all of this together. Very well done. Thanks for sharing it with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. <3 Candy

Elena said...

You are so great I can't STAND it!! This is awesome Eileen! And I don't even LIKE spiders!! LOL!

Chris said...

Never heard that statement, but wow what a great visual of it.

Lori said...

I knew I could count on you for a creative piece for this challenge, and you didn't disappoint. I totally love this, well done! And ... Thank you for joining the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!

PetraB said...

Fantastic piece, love the little spider and the sentiment (lol)

Patzee said...

Leave it to Eileen to find a lesser known OWT and turn it into a funky piece of art. Great images!!

Nancy Wethington said...

Great entry and love that background! Thanks for joining the challenge at Simon Says Stamp & Show.

Kat said...

this is fab,
I have never heard this OWT
Kat.