If all this wasn't enough, several of my regular art class buddies were also in attendance, and I met a few new ones. A really great group, held in a lovely apartment, and we were also VERY WELL FED. Could anyone ask for more?
We cut metal, we stamped on it with permanent ink, we submerged the metal in etching solution, we added patina, we punched holes and inserted eyelets, and voila! Two covers were created. Then we cut the paper we had brought, folded it and made signatures, and learned how to put the book together with an exposed spine using a coptic stitch. Lots and lots of charms and other do-dads were added, and this is what my book looks like.
Many of the charms I've acquired over the years in swaps or as gifts. Some I made. Some were bought. I don't find charm bracelets or necklaces to be particularly comfortable to wear, so this use of the charms really pleases me.
The only thing I did not complete in class was the addition of the framed photo on the front. (Cindy and Jen had already very graciously allowed the class to go well over the published end time, so that everyone was able to leave with a put together book). When I got home, I looked through my stash, found the metal frame I used, distressed it a bit with ink and paint, and inserted the photo of my parents when they were very young....a full year before I was born. I wanted to cover the photo with some mica but all I got for my troubles when I tried to cut it was a table full of mica shards. This is my faux mica solution: I covered the photo (which was already in the frame) with Ranger's Glossy Accents, and then smooshed a piece of very thin acetate (cut to fit exactly) over the photo. Somehow the smooshing created the irregular look of mica. At least in my mind it did.
I'm trying to figure out some sort of closure, but until that happens, I jazzed up a binder clip with paint and ink and that keeps the book closed.