Thursday, April 4, 2013

The 12 Tags of 2013 AND a metal etching update

April really snuck up on me.  I had an idea for the March tag but before I knew it, April was upon us.  Click HERE to see what Tim did on his April tag.  It was all about the new metallic distress paints, which, sadly, I do not yet possess.  However, I do have some fluid acrylic metallics, and as their consistency is similar to the distress paints, I thought I'd give it a go.  And finally get something done on time!

Instead of working on a tag I did a birthday card on a coaster (4"x4"). 



The background directly on the coaster is from a gelli plate print.  Within that is the piece I did with one of Tim's techniques.....swiping paper through small amounts of distress paints, including a metallic.  Over that I stamped the butterfly from Tim's mini blueprint set, using black archival ink.

On Tim's tag (he used the full size dragonfly blueprint stamp), he added wings cut from Wendy Vecchi's Clearly For Art.  I stamped the little butterfly on a piece of CFA twice.  Once with black and once with magenta hue archival ink.  I wanted to see which I liked better, and decided to use both!  So I have a double set of wings.



For the body of the butterfly I used a pen nib and yet another technique for working with the distress paints......dabbing them directly onto metal.  I used pickled raspberry and a bit of the gold metallic paint I had on hand. 

The sentiment is one of Tim's word bands.  I covered it with peeled paint and broken china distress paint and then wiped the paint off, so that it settled into the letters.  It was then strung on a piece of narrow ribbon that I colored with some of the leftover paint (after misting the paint with water).

 
 
The back of the card is ready to be personalized.
 
 
 
The cupcake is from Tim's Birthday Blueprint set.  It was stamped on the same paper the front image was stamped on, cut out and adhered to plain cardstock that I inked with just about all the red/pink inks I own.   I went over the cupcake with different colors of distress markers, and I'm happy to report that the metallic shine from the underlying technique still comes through.  The little birthday greeting is a Stampin' Up stamp I've had forever.
 
In my last post I mentioned that I was working on a better closure for my little book with the etched metal covers.  Here it is!
 

 
 
And I added just a few more charms to the spine.
 
 
 
Hey, sometimes less is more, and sometimes (this time) more is better.

 





  

9 comments:

Dorothy said...

Awesome!!!

Lori said...

Very cool card! Love the butterfly with the extra wings, gives it so much dimension! Nice closure for the metal book, too!

Scrappin' Stacy said...

Beautiful card!

Socrates said...

Just amazing. A perfectly beautiful book.

Debby said...

Beautiful card. The double wings turned out great. That book you made is amazing!

Elena said...

Can NEVER have too many charms!!!

LOVE IT!

Ally White Cat said...

wonderful work and the charms are awesome

susan s

Winnie said...

Your April card is awesome! Love the pen nib as the body of the butterfly! I am loving the cupcake from the blueprint stamp and getting a lot of use from it myself. Your card is lovely.

KC Inspired said...

Someone's gong to get a work of art for a birthday card! Gorgeous!