I began by covering a sheet of 8 1/2 x 11" cardstock with some Japanese text. I remembered a trick I'd read for getting 10 ATC from one such piece of paper, and cut them out. Here's this handy tip:
1. Cut two lengthwise strips 2 1/2" wide, leaving one strip 3 1/2" wide.2. Cut the strips crosswise: the 2 1/2" strips will be 3 1/2" wide, and the 3 1/2" strips will be 2 1/2" wide.
Then I added some texture with this embossing folder (I was able to do two ATCs at a time):
And then some transluscent color with these paints:
So much for the background; now onto the main image, which I got from this:
The above is 8 1/2 x 11", so I only used the head and shoulders, and that pretty much filled up the ATC.
All of this resulted in:
To color the images, I used my favorite cheap-o art supply:
And to decorate the colored kimonos, I used some of my favorite pens. Because the Portfolios have a waxy surface, not every pen will write well over them. I've ruined many a good pen learning this, but my Sharpie poster paint pens, Molotow acrylic pens, and Sakura glaze and souffle pens glide over the Portfolios with no problem.
Although the design is identical, the decoration changes from ATC to ATC. And though it wasn't my intention, even the faces all look different. The face on the original image was very faint, so I had to go over the lines with a pen. Even the slightest difference in my drawing changed the expression. I'm not complaining, just explaining. And of course I totally enjoyed coloring and doodling on the clothing, using varying colors and patterns on each.
I used very narrow red German scrap for the hair accessories. The flowers are tiny Primas over small Stampin' Up blooms, with a dot of platinum stickles in the center.