Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Heading East

Last weekend, with a to-do list longer than my arm, I abandoned everything I was supposed to do in favor of what I wanted to do.  I recently signed up for an ATC swap at Little Bird Creations, something I haven't done in years.  I literally have hundreds of these little works of art from years ago swaps, but have rarely done any since I've gotten into art journaling and collage.  Anyway, the theme is Japanese/geisha, and since I have a ton of related supplies, I decided to go for it.  They're not due until June, but you know how it goes with me and my stubborn muse....strike while she is hot or she will run away and hide.

I began by covering a sheet of 8 1/2 x 11" cardstock with some Japanese text.  I remembered a trick I'd read for getting 10 ATC from one such piece of paper, and cut them out.  Here's this handy tip:

1. Cut two lengthwise strips 2 1/2" wide, leaving one strip 3 1/2" wide.
2. Cut the strips crosswise: the 2 1/2" strips will be 3 1/2" wide, and the 3 1/2" strips will be 2 1/2" wide.

Then I added some texture with this embossing folder (I was able to do two ATCs at a time):




 
 
And then some transluscent color with these paints:
 




So much for the background; now onto the main image, which I got from this:



The above is 8 1/2 x 11", so I only used the head and shoulders, and that pretty much filled up the ATC.

All of this resulted in:

 
 
To color the images, I used my favorite cheap-o art supply:
 
 
 
And to decorate the colored kimonos, I used some of my favorite pens.  Because the Portfolios have a waxy surface, not every pen will write well over them.  I've ruined many a good pen learning this, but my Sharpie poster paint pens, Molotow acrylic pens, and Sakura glaze and souffle pens glide over the Portfolios with no problem.
 
 
 
Although the design is identical, the decoration changes from ATC to ATC.  And though it wasn't my intention,  even the faces all look different.  The face on the original image was very faint, so I had to go over the lines with a pen.  Even the slightest difference in my drawing changed the expression.  I'm not complaining, just explaining.  And of course I totally enjoyed coloring and doodling on the clothing, using varying colors and patterns on each.
 
 
 


 


 
 
I used very narrow red German scrap for the hair accessories.  The flowers are tiny Primas over small Stampin' Up blooms, with a dot of platinum stickles in the center.







9 comments:

Unknown said...

They are gorgious and I love how you put your post together sharing the supplies you used. I havn't used/tried a cutlebug or your cheep-o-art supply ;)

Lovely ATC's
Hugs
The Glitter Tart

Dorothy said...

Fantastic Eileen!!! Thanks for the info too!

Patzee said...

I love the look of your ATCs! Thanks for the deets on cutting 10 ATCs from 1 sheet of paper.

Michael said...

These are fantastic! The colors are wonderful! I have found sometimes the cheap stuff works best!!!
Michael

see me said...

Gorgeous- the Ukiyo-e print is great.

Lori said...

Very cool! I always admire those how can create Asian art..love it!

Sue Young said...

Beauteous Eileen!!!

Elena said...

Girlfriend you rock! These are fabulous!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

These are exquisite!!!!