Friday, December 11, 2009

The 12 Tags of Christmas, Day 11

Ah, Tim just had to introduce us to a new tool in today's tag....a custom brad maker!  Yikes!  Before I go into my song and dance routine about how I made mine without the gadget, here is Tim's sweet and nostalgic tag:

Here is my list of what I didn't have:  the reindeer stamp, the flourish stamp, the snowflakes stamp, the custom brad maker.  I managed, and this is the result:


I had the reindeer grungeboard shape from the seasonal pack, so I ran him through a floral embossing folder, swiped over the embossed areas with embossing ink, added black embossing powder and heat set.  Then I sponged over the whole thing with red ink, as Tim did.
As usual I just used other flourish and snowflake stamps.  No biggie.  The real challenge was the custom brads.  I did have the sticky back canvas paper, and I do have sweet images from Paper Imagery Designs, so first of all  I printed some on the canvas.  Then I found some really butt-ugly resin button stickers in my stash that I don't know why I bought (except they were only 39c a  pack at the discount store). 
I cut the images in a circle about 1/2 inch larger than the buttons, and stuck them on.  Then I just cut slits around and folded the sections over onto the back.  Not an actual brad, so I used glue to attach them to the flowers.
Speaking of the flowers, I had some primas with patterns that went with the tag, so I used them and skipped the inking/stickling part of Tim's design.  Here's a closer look at my "brads."


They didn't print as dark as I'd have liked, though the lightness does add to the vintage look I guess.
Other changes I made:  I stamped my flourishes and snowflakes in both peeled paint and aged mahogany.  I liked the little white snowflakes that were part of the rub on sheet I used (you'll have to click on the photo to enlarge it to see those), and added more of them in other parts of the tag.  I thought the top of the tag needed more white to balance the lightness of the faux brads.
That's it.  Only one tag to go!  Waaaaaaaaaah!!

16 comments:

Carol's Crafts said...

Your tag is beautiful, girl. you did a great job and you didn't even have the brad maker.

Lori said...

Great job on this one, too! Yep, I will be improvising for the brads, too! Oh, so you buy stuff just because it's on sale, too? LOL Loved that you used those Prima collage flowers, aren't they awesome? Still have quite a few left, actually. Yep, only one more to go! Boo Hoo

Kathy Eddy said...

Wow, is all I can say! You are the Queen of Improv! Kathy E

Tami Putvin said...

WOW WOW WOW.. Beautiful job..

Wishing you abundant blessings,
Tami

Patzee said...

Eileen, I love how you improvise! Brilliant!! It's so much fun to see how resourceful we are when we have limited supplies. Congrats on your creations!!

Elaine A said...

Eileen -

I bow to your genius! I loved the look of the vintage brads on Tim's tag, but I didn't have the fancy gadget. What a smart girl you are! Thank you for the great idea. And your tag is just awesome!

Elaine Allen

Linda said...

My "don't have list" is the same as yours, only I need to add sticky back canvas to it too. I am sure I will figure out something! Great job on the tag, if mine turns out 1/2 as well as yours it will be great!

Take care
Linda

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh girl......LOVE IT!!!!! GREAT GREAT job!!!!

Unknown said...

Great job making the brads! And, you're right ... waaaaaah! (I STILL haven't started yet!) Guess when Tim's tags are done, I'll get mine done, then someone else who's waaaay behind. etc. etc. etc.--just like the cruise posts! lol

Angie Hall Haviland said...

FABULOUS, Eileen!! Great improvising! :)

Bearcrazyman said...

Great job. You are the Queen for a reason.

Linda said...

it's beautiful! Love how you had fun with the bards :)

Anonymous said...

Eileen, you ARE the paper queen. You are also the queen of tags. Thank you so much for sharing your art every day. You inspire me, you help me get out of a daily "funk" and you help me put my big girl panties on and face each new day. I think you ARE my MUSE!!!
Love, Liz
Prescott, AZ

Dawn said...

I love your take on the tag. Don't tell tim...but I like yours better.

Dorothy said...

Great job Eileen!! smart take on the brads!

Sherry Goodloe said...

Nice job of using those Prima flowers we were gifted on the cruise *smiles*. Nice job of making your own brads as well!