Monday, June 11, 2012

Artist's Choice

I'm in a small online group for sharing art, sometimes trading, and just hanging out with like minded people.  Membership is by invitation only, and not to sound snobbish, the point was to gather together some folks who have a good track record for quality work and responsible swapping.  Since we're not affiliated with any person, product, or store we're free to create whatever we want without constraints.  All we've agreed to is to always do our best work.

After a couple of weeks of getting to know one another, we've embarked on our first swap, and made it a simple one.  A tag.  Any theme.  Anything goes.  Artist's choice.  Works for me!

I actually completed my tag long before I knew who I'd be sending it to.  As it turns out, I'm mailing it to one of my cruise pals, Stephanie.  So, Steph, if you need to be surprised, stop now and go away!

I feel like this tag is a good example of my true style.  A little bit of grunge, a little bit of steampunk, a little bit of humor,  and a whole lot of texture and layering.



The background was done with lots of sprays, inks, paints, and stencils.  I'm not sure if it shows up in the photos, but I applied some light modeling paste through the harlequin stencil to raise it up and add some texture.

Hanging out around the clock, (Tim Holtz's weathered clock die) some stenciled people.



Does that little guy hanging onto the clock for dear life look familiar?



Well, he started out in life as a Wendy Vecchi stamp (from the gentlemen art set), about 4" high.  He was just what I wanted, but obviously way too big.  I stamped him, scanned the image and reduced it in size.  He was cut out, then completely covered with black ink, followed by a coat of glossy accents. 

Instead of using the usual clock hands I used two old keys, a rusty washer and a beat up brad.

And, since this week's Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge is 'anything goes,' I guess I have another twofer.




20 comments:

lilyandthelotus.blogspot.com said...

Oh wow! dynamic tag..I love it. Awesome.
susan

Dorothy said...

Awesome Eileen!!

Patzee said...

Time and time again, I am totally awed by what you create. Fabulous!!

Nancy said...

Great tag, Eileen!!

Barbara said...

Awesome--way over my head as far as what I could do myself--but I certainly appreciate your talent!!

Alicia B said...

Sensational Tag Eileen!!! *Hugs*

Anonymous said...

What an awesome tag and sounds like your new group is going to be alot of FUN!!!!!

Susan ~ Killam Creative said...

Ooh, this is brilliant. Stephanie is a lucky one!

I haven't started on my tag yet... oh no! :)

Cheers,
Susan

michelle said...

I loe our tag and the way your mind thinks. . .shrinking the WV stamp something I would of never thought to do!

Tammy D said...

I love this tag!

Vic said...

I love it! All the texture & color is fabulous and the "little Wendy" added is super!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fabulous tag, love the weathered clock against your inky background and fabulous use of the images, great fun. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. Tracy x

Lori said...

Very cool tag! Love the idea for the guy!

Candy C said...

Eileen...this tag is really cool! I love how you have used the Wendy Vecchi stamp of the little man and how he looks like he's holding on for dear life to your weathered clock! Where did that idea come from?! haha It's wonderful! Beautiful tag and great design. <3 Candy

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Congrats on your new elite group membership...so cool and the art you will see will be fantastic I am sure! This tag is great....love the whole design...those little peeps are too awesome!!! Kudos!

Bunnyfreak said...

Love the people around the clock.

Bethan said...

super!

Retro Cafe' Art Gallery said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Retro Cafe' Art Gallery said...

Gorgeous! Is that the Coffee Break Design Hand Group Stencil? If so, I would love to share your piece on our site! Please let me know :).
krishubick@hotmail.com

Lisa :) said...

This is beautiful! The background is amazing/