Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Layers Without Lumps

I love texture and layers and layers of embellishments as much as the next person, but sometimes (like when I want to send a birthday card without the extra cost of a padded envelope and additional postage) flat works best.  But it should only be flat, not look flat.

Just the other day I bought some masking fluid.  I know I made that purchase for a particular reason, but for the life of me can't remember exactly what the project was or where I saw it.  Sigh, story of my life.  Anyway, the universe decided to be nice to me today, and Splitcoast Stampers has a new tutorial on layering with masking fluid.  Bingo!  Rather than me trying to explain the technique, click on the link above and see for yourself.  It really is an easy way to create a richly layered look without adding a whole lot of bulk.

I was in the middle of working on a birthday card using this technique when I decided to take a break and check my email.  And once again, the universe was kind to me.  I'd been using rather bright colors on my card, and there, in my inbox, was a note from Lori, list mom of Everything Wendy Vecchi, announcing the new challenge......create something, use Wendy's stamps, and bright colors.  Bingo again.

Here's what my background looked like, after following the tutorial directions.



Except for the old wood background (a Stampin' Up stamp, stamped with coffee archival ink) all the stamping up to this point was done with one Wendy stamp (the leafy border stamp from It's Face Art) and several distress ink colors (broken china, faded jeans, peacock feathers and weathered wood).

Next step, some additional stamping.


The flower is from Wendy's Botanical Art set (I just stamped the flower, eliminating the leaves) stamped with magenta hue archival ink.  I decided to add leaves from another set (Nature's Art), and used olive archival ink.

Last step, adding the birthday wishes and just a tiny bit of bling.  Couldn't resist, but the sparklies don't add any real bulk, so I still consider this to be a flat piece.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.



I recently received an order from one of the very best stores in the world, Absolutely Everything.  Patti, who fills all the orders always includes some extras, and not any cheapo ones either.  In that order I received this wonderful LaBlanche stamp:



These stamps are like no others.  They aren't rubber or acrylic, but are made of silicone.  They are definitely odd looking, but they stamp like a dream.  Here's what the stamping side looks like.


I used this stamp to make a birthday card for a musician friend.  All I had to do was add a bit of color, which I did with distress inks and markers.  Again, not a bit of bulk, but the stamp is so detailed and beautiful I think it doesn't really need any extra embellishing.




In addition to these two cards today I did something I've been wanting to do for some time.  I removed my large Stampin' Up background stamps from their wood mounts.  They were just taking up too much space.  I definitely feel I've accomplished a lot, so it is time to reward myself with some time on the couch and a few NCIS reruns.  What can I tell you?  Love me some Mark Harmon.

13 comments:

Lori said...

Who doesn't love Mark Harmon? Both of these are fabulous, love the bright colors! Thanks for joining the MAC..and I'm so glad the universe was in alignment for you this week! LOL!
p.s. what did you use to remove the stamps from the wood? Just pure brute strength or a chemical of some sort?

Cool Cakes and Crafts with Amalia said...

Amazing cards! I thought the weathered wood stamped background was done with crackle paint! I love that la blanche stamp too. It kind looks like Marty!

Sandy Young said...

Very nice job on the cards. I thought it was crackle paint as well.
Love the NCIS show as well. Thank goodness for DVR.

Unknown said...

Great cards. That should be a challenge in itself ... stamp something without layers. lol

Vic said...

Both cards are fantastic!

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...superb technique loVe how it turned out, beautiful stamping too...Mel :)

Patzee said...

Two very different cards done so well! Thanks for including the masking fluid info.

Alicia B said...

Beautiful Cards!!! I am right there with you on NCIS- Love that show! *Hugs*

Helen said...

Just been to watch the video tutorial and now this product is on my 'must have now' list!! your work is beautiful.

Art By Wanda said...

Both cards are wonderful, Eileen!!!

Bethan said...

lovely!

Anonymous said...

WOW Eileen.....BOTH of these are beautiful!!!!!

Monica said...

La Blanche are quite incredible stamps. What great timing and perfect card for musician.