A while ago I agreed to be a part of an all fabric round robin called Vintage Lace. Though I love to look at fabric books and admire the artists who make them, I'm not much of a fabric person. Paper is my usual medium. I have ventured off into metal, and yes, I have used fabric in my creations, but a book made almost entirely of fabric and lace? I say almost, because embellishments of every type are allowed. Anyway, I joined and wondered if I'd be sorry I did.
One day, I saw a fabric book embellishment that appealed to me, and decided to start with that.....creating a focal point for my book. Start small. Baby fabric steps. One thing led to another, and the project seemed to take on a life of its own. One weekend later and I was almost finished. Guess I have a new obsession.
Here is my completed journal cover It measures about 10"x11", including the trim.
As you can see, it is not only a medium I don't often use, but the color palette is also unusual for me. Oh, and by the way, about 99% was sewn by machine or hand. Very little glue was used. Color me proud of myself!
The focal point is the heart, which is very dimensional, being stuffed with fiber fill. I'm sure quilters don't use the term stuffed, but I have no idea what the correct term is. Anyway, here is a closer look at the heart. Beads and lace and tulle and flowers, oh my.
OK, confession time. Originally the heart had a photo transfer on it, but I absolutely hated the way it came out, so I just added more trimmings right over it. Like I always say, mistakes are just an opportunity to embellish.
I had fun with the spine, and am very happy with the way it turned out.
It's made of torn strips of fabric with lots of buttons sewn on. If I live to be 100 I won't deplete my button supply, so it was good to be able to use so many in one project.
I'm not really totally satisfied with the back of the book, but I have until December to send it off to the next artist, so there's time for additions,.
I think the yellow lace is bothering me, so I may just soften it by covering it with some more off white lace. We'll see.
I've kept the inside covers fairly plain (for now), but since I very much like the eyelet lace fabric I used, that's OK. I did create a pocket for the inside front cover, though I haven't a clue what I'm going to put in it. Maybe little gifts for the other participants???? BTW, this is a VERY small group; there are only 5 of us, so that idea isn't too far fetched.
We are also doing one page of our own to send along with the cover. (The book will be bound upon its return). I have worked on mine; it is unfinished but getting there. We all chose themes for our books (someone chose Paris, another, fashion). I chose accessories because....do I really have to explain? What is better than accessories? What embellishments are to crafts, accessories are to fashion. The complete it, enhance it, and let's be honest.....you don't have to go on a diet to fit into your favorite hat, pair of gloves, scarf, necklace or brooch. But I digress. Here is my work-in-progress page.
When my brother and I were cleaning out our mom's Florida condo after bringing her back north to live, I found a pair of long lacy gloves. I have not a clue why my mother had them; they are so not her style. But I love the idea of using them in my art. This is a very tone on tone page and I just want you to know that it is a lot more interesting in person with all the different textures. And, remember, it is unfinished.
The ringleader of this group is my friend Sox. Yep, for a change one of our projects didn't come from Elena's fertile mind. Since we're not launching until December, Sox decided we should prime the creative pump by doing a fabric/lace ATC swap. I worked on mine this weekend, and here they are, all five of them. Yes, I am keeping one for myself.
The very much simpler (yet also stuffed!) heart is a nod towards the one I made for my cover. It's actually the only part of the ATC that was sewn. I am not good enough on the machine to sew in such small spaces, and I lack the patience to completely hand sew the whole shebang. So yes, glue was most certainly used.
This is what the back looks like. I used sticky back canvas, attached to the front, and it was also used on the dress form (Tim Holtz die).