Friday, October 15, 2010

Creative Exploration to Canada & New England - Portland

What I saw of Portland from our balcony in the early morning:


After an early breakfast with Lori, Pat and I left the ship to spend the day wandering the streets of Portland, one of my favorite New England cities.  We bought day passes for the buses, and saw a lot that way, hopping on and off as the mood struck.
We visited the Maine Historical Society, Victoria Mansion, Longfellow House and the Maine College of Art.

 In a shop window, a new use for a cigar box
 I meet a new friend (and he doesn't talk back)

 Victoria Mansion
 The gallery inside the College of Art

 Another look at Victoria Mansion
 Statue of one of Portland's most famous native sons, the director John Ford



When we were in the College of Art, we wandered into the cafeteria looking to buy some lunch, and were surprised when we were welcomed in and weren't asked to pay.  Turned out that it was Friends and Family weekend, and I suppose we were thought to be visiting students.  Great lunch, by the way.  I really do love this place.
That night we decided to eat at one of the specialty restaurants instead of the dining room -- Johnny Rockets, and for a surcharge of a mere $4.95 we got this:
And were entertained by the singing waiters (doing YMCA, of course):

And were treated to a beautiful sunset as the ship slowly left Portland behind.

Tomorrow, Bar Harbor and our second class with Tim.

13 comments:

Elena said...

Beautiful pictures Eileen! I enjoyed Portland as well.

Art By Wanda said...

What fun to just stroll around stopping at whatever looked interesting!!! sigh!!!

Elaine A said...

Hi Eileen -

Love all the photos, especially the "Soakology" sign. That one is too funny. Sounds as if you and Pat had a really wonderful day.

Elaine Allen

Tammy D said...

Looks like you did a lot of the same things as us. Looks like you had a beautiful day.

Lori said...

Yeah, you're right! Totally different from my viewpoint! lol! Same view leaving the port, though! lol! I might have to scam the Soakology sign...missed that one!

SusanK said...

Great photos!

KAT said...

Eileen, enjoying the trip with you!!! Can't wait to see class #2!

craftyM said...

I think I would like Portland Maine! Love your photos! Can't wait for the next post!!!
Marita

Anonymous said...

Awsome pictures Eileen!!!! Love one one of you and the guy that doesn't talk back!!! ;) There's a Johnny Rockets in Nashville and it's funny to walk past and see them singing and dancing!!!!! ;)

Kathy2eggs said...

Awesome day, I wasn't able to get into town, so I love looking at all your photos...you captured it totally!

WW said...

Can't wait to see what the next day brings. I almost feel like I'm taking the trip with you.
Aren't restaurants on the cruise ships great, that was one of the things I loved when we went on a cruise in January, I never get to eat things like that at home.

teri said...

Nice statue picture. Some people will do anything to get a man.

Erin Glee said...

So fun to see the cruise through your lens and read your descriptions~THANK YOU!