Saturday, October 16, 2010

Creative Exploration to Canada & New England - Bar Harbor

I've never been here before, and it is just the most charming place; it absolutely screams New England.  Cruise ships are way too large to dock so we had to take a tender over.  These are some pictures I snapped on the way.







We wandered around, going in and out of shops, building up an appetite.

Which we were happy enough to satisfy with this great lunch special:  NE clam chowder (which we slurped down before a picture could be taken), lobster roll, fries, and blueberry pie for dessert.


We even managed to find a sweet little scrapbooking/quilting shop, where I bought some fabric, a couple of die cuts for my journal, and an old wheel that I have no idea what I'm going to do with it, but I had to have it.
Tucked away on a side street was an antique store that had lots of old books, including some from a "Little Leather Library."  I picked up an Alice in Wonderland and an Edgar Allan Poe short stories.
Back on the ship, Pat and I wandered up to Dizzy's Jazzy Lounge to check out a beading class.  Didn't stay for the class, but I met another man of the strong and silent type.
At dinner we saw another amazing sunset.
And then it was time for our evening class with Tim.

Tim showed us three different ways to create flowers, and we made a tag to showcase each technique.
On this one we used Tim's rosette die to create the cool flower.  I'm very excited because my die will be waiting for me when I get home. 

This next tag has a fabric flower.  Now, I've made many of them, but Tim's had something I'd never done, and it gives the flower so much more body and dimension.  You can't really see them, but in between the fabric layers are some of grungepaper.  I'll be doing that from now on.

On this last tag, we learned how to use the tissue tape, attaching it to a circle, pleating as we went around, to create a very original looking flower.  Love that tissue tape.   (And don't you love those little banners we used for the word on the top?  They're from Jenni Bowlin and they also make great tabs in the journals.)

Tomorrow the boat will be in St. John, but don't look for any photos from me.  I've been there before and wasn't all that impressed, so I'm thinking it will be a great day to stay on board and work in the studio.
Tomorrow afternoon is "Tim Time," an informal get together with Tim where we'll get to ask questions.  Looking forward to that. 

**And in real time....this weekend I'm taking two workshops with Lynne Perrella down in the village.  (That's Greenwich Village for you non-New Yorkers).  Am I lucky, or what?

18 comments:

Christina said...

Great Tags Elaine. The Lyn Perella workshops would be awesome as well!
Thanks for sharing :-)

Angie Hall Haviland said...

Love all the scenic photos...your outings some WONDERFUL!! Great tags!!

N Pushkin said...

I've really enjoyed reading your blog...it's wonderful...Looks like you are an expert! Nancy Mitchell - blog reader!

Tammy D said...

Looks like so much fun.

Earlene said...

Thanks for sharing your cruise photo and classes for us that are unable to cruise.

As a long time Tim and Cruise Fan I really appreciate it.

SusanK said...

Love seeing these cities through your eyes! Sounds like your jaunt through town was well worth it!

Kathy Eddy said...

Very lucky indeed. The fabric you picked up will make some awesome tattered die flowers from the looks of it.lunch looks divine!

Nancy D. said...

You got some great shots Eileen..my sister & I loved Bar Harbor too!...the lobster roll we had was to die for!...lol

Healing Woman said...

Geeez..I'd be on overdrive if I were you. Tim's class and now Lynn's class. I loved seeing your photos and I'm vicariously traveling with you and bringing some friends along too..thanks for the great post of your cruise.

Dorothy said...

thank you Eileen for the great tour!

christene tee said...

Hi, I am a newbie from Malaysia and I have been enjoying your posts. Thanks for sharing. Wish Tim would come by Asia and conduct a workshop here!

Sue Young said...

Ah,YEAH, you are so TOTALLY lucky!

Art By Wanda said...

Ya your lucky!!! A Tim Cruise and then Lynne workshops... you lucky duck you!!!!

Lori said...

Another wonderful recap, and can't wait to hear about the classes with your "other" art idol! lol!

scrappin-scrappin said...

Eileen, lovin reading all about the cruise!! Those tiara's are great!!

Elaine A said...

Hi Eileen -

Great photos,the lobster roll looks yummy and the blueberry pie -nothing like Maine blueberries. The tags are gorgeous, love the different flowers. AND two classes with Lynn - lucky girl!

Elaine Allen

Unknown said...

Great pics you got in Baa Haabaa! Looking forward to reading/seeing more of your trip!

craftyM said...

A cruise with Tim followed by Lynne, yep you are lucky.... VERY LUCKY, my friend!
Marita